Shane Stevens - Graduate Bachelor of Education (Primary Teaching).

At 50 years old, Shane Stephens received his first qualification, a Bachelor of Education (Primary Teaching) from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

After many years of playing professional rugby in Ireland, he returned to Aotearoa unsure what his next step would be. He ended up becoming a teacher aide working in various Rotorua schools.

He was comfortable in this role and didn’t have any plans of higher education. That was until a local school principal encouraged him to consider studying teaching.

“I didn’t want to go back to school and study, I hardly went to school when I was meant to go. After 30 years, going back to study was daunting,” says Shane who graduated in May this year.

Soon after Shane began his bachelor's at the Rotorua campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, he realised that his fears of not keeping up with the learning and being ‘too old’ to study, wouldn’t be an issue.

He was supported by his kaiako throughout his learning journey and was proud to show that even after many years out of the classroom, he was proof that you could in fact, ‘teach an old dog new tricks.’

“They all help you in your learning, not just the teachers but your classmates too. I’m glad I came to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to tell you the truth. All those fears I had, I never experienced any.”

As someone who loves sport and was able to make a career out of playing professional rugby, Shane has been a part of many trophy ceremonies and seen sporting accolades around the world.

But he says those moments couldn’t compare to his graduation ceremony in front of his whānau and community.

“My biggest highlight was graduation day, I cried the whole time. I took graduation lightly, but I was so overwhelmed. It’s nothing like the award ceremonies I have seen or been a part of, it’s way more special.”

Shane now has a role teaching at Rotokawa School in Rotorua where he hopes to use both his sporting experience and knowledge from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to uplift and encourage tamariki to succeed.

“My main motivation is to reach those Māori boys like me, sitting down the back that want to become All Blacks. I want to make a big push for always having a plan B. So pushing education because it opens more doors and offers more opportunities. That’s the message I’m trying to get out there.”

Find out more about our education programmes

Published On: 17 August 2023

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 01 May 2024

Milestone achievement as kairangahau secures first ever Marsden for wānanga

Almost 3 months ago, Tara McAllister made the transition from mainstream academia to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, where she has taken on the role of Kairangahau Matua within the newly established Rangahau Centre, Te Manawahoukura.

• 24 April 2024

Tāne creates legacy for his whānau by learning te reo Māori

From someone with no te reo Māori knowledge to now being able to speak te reo Māori all day, every day if he chose, Ruebin Reti has evolved into a beacon of inspiration.

• 18 April 2024

Raranga guides new mum back into te ao Māori

Joy Gilgen had always thought that raranga was a practice reserved for older generations, but after having her first pēpē in 2022, she had the urge to do something holistic and reground herself in te ao Māori.

• 28 March 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa honour two founders with new scholarships in 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa relaunched their scholarships in 2023, and in 2024 are proud to announce the introduction of three new scholarships, two of which honour a couple of the institute’s founding members.