Kylie Holmes: Tauira - Toi Maaori

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

The couple, who are based in Ōhope, quickly discovered the wide range of study opportunities and soon after enrolled in Kāwai Raupapa Level 4.

Harlem chose mau rākau in Tauranga, while Kylie enrolled in raranga in Whakatāne. She’d realised her love for the artform after she weaved a wahakura earlier that year just before having their first pēpē.

“When I found out there was a raranga programme in Whakatāne, that really caught my attention. It seemed like such a great opportunity. I knew that it would be silly to pass it by. I thought it would be the perfect time for me to study while my baby was still young”.

Kylie went back to mahi halfway through 2023, and she admits that juggling life with a baby, while working and studying was a challenge.

With the support of her kaiako and fellow tauira, and with her partner also juggling the same commitments, she was able to complete the programme and proudly showcase her mahi at their end of year toi exhibition.

“At times I was really challenged, but I have a good partner and he’s very supportive. Classes were a bit of me time. I got to socialise, I got to be myself without my child, it was a good balance.”

This year both Kylie and Harlem will continue their study journey with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, working towards Toi Paematua Level 5 in raranga and mau rākau respectively.

The couple are confident that through furthering their education they will be able to make a positive impact within their young whānau and live out the vision of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, whānau transformation through education.

“Both of us really enjoyed our programmes because they made us feel closer to our culture, our tūpuna, and feel more connected within ourselves. Becoming parents in 2022 made us realise how much strengthening our pillars will make a difference for our offspring.”

Find out more about our Toi Māori (Arts) programmes

Published On: 26 February 2024

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 24 April 2024

Tāne creates legacy for his whānau by learning te reo Māori

From someone with no te reo Māori knowledge to now being able to speak te reo Māori all day, every day if he chose, Ruebin Reti has evolved into a beacon of inspiration.

• 18 April 2024

Raranga guides new mum back into te ao Māori

Joy Gilgen had always thought that raranga was a practice reserved for older generations, but after having her first pēpē in 2022, she had the urge to do something holistic and reground herself in te ao Māori.

• 28 March 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa honour two founders with new scholarships in 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa relaunched their scholarships in 2023, and in 2024 are proud to announce the introduction of three new scholarships, two of which honour a couple of the institute’s founding members.

• 28 March 2024

Former All Black strengthens passion for toi through wānanga programme

Former All Black, Kees Meeuws has always had a passion for toi, so much so, that in his earlier years he studied at Elam School of Fine Arts, completing a foundation year and first year sculpture.