Tereinamu Hakupa

Tereinamu Hakopa has a thirst for knowledge and is dedicated to sharing the knowledge she gains with those around her.

The 36-year-old Dunedin local recently graduated with Toi Paematua Level 5 in Rauangi from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and has taken her learning into her mahi as a Māori Liaison and a kaiāwhina for tauira Māori at Otago Polytechnic.

“I love studying because it sharpens the mind and helps you develop new skills. My study has helped me with my tikanga practice, which I then incorporate into my professional practice. I’ve been able to support Māori students whether they want to navigate tikanga, find resources for their assignments, or even if I'm just meeting with them I'm able to create a safe environment for them,” she says.

Tereinamu began her toi journey in 2021 at the Ōtepoti campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing the final year of her Bachelor of Social Services at Otago Polytechnic and remaining in part-time mahi.

As busy as she was, Tereinamu was adamant she wanted to study toi for as long as she did, saying, “It fills my cup and aligns with my heart. So, I had to continue, and I’m glad I did.”

This year, Tereinamu’s mum attended her graduation. She had the honour of seeing her daughter walk across the stage and receive her tohu and also witnessed her take the stage as tauira speaker and inspire the audience by sharing her learning journey.

Tereinamu’s speech inspired her fellow tauira, their whānau, and her mum, who this year studied Toi Maruata, Certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art.

“I love seeing my mum develop in that space. It’s been great being able to listen to her about the projects she’s been working on and offer her my advice and examples through the work that I did.”

Tereinamu is grateful for the learning journey she has been on so far with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. Although she is taking a break from her studies, she wants to encourage others to take up study opportunities and make the most of the many available options.

“Challenge yourself, but find joy in that journey, enjoy yourself, and trust the process. Things are only as hard as what you make them. Find the awesome moments in your learning journey, and it will make it all worth it.”

Find out more about our Toi Māori (Arts) programmes

Published On: 18 July 2024

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 05 September 2024

Celebrating heritage: Former toi tauira art debut in Ōtepoti

Former toi tauira, Ana Hislop and Emily Clemett, celebrated their first public gallery exhibition in Ōtepoti, launching their art careers in the south where their tīpuna are from.

• 29 August 2024

From a hobby, to a passion, to a career

Sue Tipene (Ngai Tahu, Ngai Tūahuriri) has had a few career changes, but a passion for education has been at the core of each and every one.

• 22 August 2024

Tikanga programme inspires award-winning DOC project

For 12 years, Cher Knight has worked for the Department of Conservation (DOC) with a key part of her role being to work alongside tangata whenua to uphold the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.

• 15 August 2024

There and back again for hauora kaiako

Lynette Ngaheu gave up a life of leisure in Ireland to return to Kawerau and says it was the best move she ever made.